Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Favre

It's pronounced Far-ve.

The football analysts had no clue who was stepping onto the field on September 27, 1992 for his first game with the Green Pay Packers. Most assuredly he was the butt of many jokes-- about his accent, birthplace, name, style and many other things that made him different from anyone that had ever been successful before him. Little did they know that this name would become legend. He holds the NFL Records for:
  • Most AP NFL MVP awards: 3 (1995, 1996, 1997)
  • Most Consecutive Starts by an NFL Quarterback: 253 (275 including playoffs)
  • Most wins by a starting NFL quarterback over his regular season career: 160 (Regular season record: 160-93)
  • Most career passing touchdowns: 442
  • Most career passing yards: 61,655
  • Most career pass completions: 5,377
  • Most career pass attempts: 8,758
  • Most career games with at least three touchdowns: 63
<Thanks Wikipedia>

Brett Favre played with a fire and intensity that you don't see in even many young players nowadays. That's why he also holds the record for most interceptions in an NFL career, I think its 288. He made a lot of mistakes because of the way he played--every time was like the first time he ever stepped out on the field. But more than anything, he had fun playing the game.
He isn't boastful or arrogant, he just enjoyed his job (unlike Tom Brady, who looks like his cat just got killed all of the time, even after an amazing game).

The first full NFL game I ever watched in my life featured Brett, and I think I owe my enjoyment of the sport mostly to him. It was the 1997 Super Bowl against the New England Patriots. Dad & I skipped church to watch it (just being honest) and I can remember just loving number 4's joy at playing a game that I had played many times in my own yard. Oh yeah and living in Mississippi (
I have spent most of my life in this oft-made-fun-of state) and spending a year at Southern Miss made me like him even more.

I am sad, but at the same time, glad to see him go. I would hate for him to play more and have some sort of serious injury or horrific season to haunt him the rest of his life. However, his love for the game and enjoyment in it is so far, unmatched. I hope the next generation of football fans have someone like him that will bring fun to the game and to the world of stuck-up professional sports.

Brett you will be missed, but who knows, maybe I'll catch up with you in Hattiesburg sometime...


No comments: